fredag, augusti 28, 2009

3 new paintings

Even more paintings. On Monday my vacation ends. So here are some so called holiday pictures. Still I have the time, before early mornings and unpaid overtime(?). Perhaps I had Turner in mind when I painted the one below. Here I've used what I think is called a putty knife in English. Furthermore a old British phone card turned out to be very useful. I've tried to avoid to go in to too much detail, instead I've been trying to give a feeling of an upset see in a harbour. Actually, it is a classic landscape. I used a brush for the under painting only. The method which I have appropriated this summer is the so called wet-on-wet method, inspired by the old masters, e.g. Rembrandt. But, of course he went into detail. That is, for the time being quite above my skills. Anyway, I like the roughness and the life this method creates. (Double click to enlarge).




Harbour.
65x92 cm. Oil on canvas.


This is sort of an on-the-side-painting of figures in darkness and light. In this painting, as you can see, I have used brushes, but again the wet on wet method was used. Especially, I like the figures to the left. And in real life the man, the second from the right, looks a bit like Bacon. I suppose that he first paints the background and then paints his figures in one go. For that figure I had a black, dry background, and I painted him with the use of my fingers. I especially like the white small white paint dots on his shoes and the red-black colour of his trousers (which unfortunately is not visible in this photo).



Men in light and shadow.
30x87 cm. Oil on canvas.


Below you see what originally was a self portrait, were I had a beard. That's why he has seems to have a slight oversized chin. And here I've used thick, unmixed paint. Of course, no detail is possible with the putty knife. For the time being, it is still lacks a a bit of colour for my taste. Perhaps I will ad some red, burnt umber and yellow ochre to it.


Man.
40x53 cm. Oil on canvas.


That's all for now folks!


Please don't be afraid to comment.